Saturday, June 28, 2008

First Two Weeks hanging out on the Equator




MOUNT CAYAMBE
June 27, 2008

Ella is born today. Congrats Johnny and Miranda! Unfortunately I am currently something like 6000 miles away and only can envision how beautiful she is in my mind. I cant wait to get pictures of the beautiful bebe with the Vinson toes! Gotta love dominant genes…

It has been 11 whole days since I left the comfort of everything I have known for the past 2 decades. I tried to write in my diaries that my friends and loved ones gave to me, but I realized 1. I am not as fast at writing as I am at typing 2. I write all day, las palabras en espanol todo el dia. Seriously. I know Spanish words I don’t even know in English. And its only the first week of class. And 3. The computers at the “Cafes” (I put cafĂ© in quotes because the friggin coffee is instant… yes, they actually grow the effing coco beans like 50 miles away on the coast, but serve instant coffee. Something isn’t right. I crave Dunkin Donuts coffee. mmmm) Anyways, I digress, number 3, the computadoras have the extra “n” with the line over the top, which is pronounced en-yea. But its on the keypad next to the “l” so when I try and type my usual 60 words a minute, I am writing gibberish and getting really pissed off because among everything else I have lost: hygiene, personal space, trendiness (I wear rubber boots), my mind, among much more, I do not want to lose my excellent typing ability. So that being said, I am typing this on MY computadora and I will post it at an internet cafe tomorrow. (and don’t worry, my diaries will get a ton of use.. I’ve already gone through 2 notebooks.)

Long beginning, huh? Guess I have a lot to say when I am in my 8x10 cell infested with what we like to call moscas or huge, massive, mosquitos in which you need to get a blood transfusion after they bite you. I wear a bug net over my face when I go to bed, every night. I kid you not. My cell is in a village about 12,000 feet above sea level, called Pakistancia. Which answers the question, since I live on the Equator, why am I freezing my ass off! Because I am currently at an elevation twice that of Mt. Washington. I leave Pakistancia in 2 months once training is done, and I told Peace Corps I dont think I could do my best effort unless I am in a warm climate, preferably on a beach. We will see what happens....

Pakistancia is about a 20 minute bus ride from a town called Cayambe, which shouldn’t mean anything to you unless you have spent a significant amount of time in the Ecuadorian highlands. They tell me Pakistancia has a population of about 800 people, I think they mean 80 but got the decimal place wrong. As much as I sound negative, Pakistancia is absolutely beautiful. You can see Mount Cayambe (in the Guinness book of world records for something I cant remember), on a clear day, which is absolutely breathtaking. I think the summit is about another 2,000 feet up from where we are. So you can see the smaller montanas (mountains) green with trees then in between them this beautiful snowcapped mountain. It is absolutely surreal.

A typical day in Peace Corps land includes being woken up by the plethora of pigs, cows, horses, and roosters at the ass crack of dawn, and all through the night as well. I slowly pull myself out of bed without exposing my skin to the air and risk getting frostbite. I put on my running tights and a sweatshirt and go for a morning jog until I feel my lungs collapsing onto each other due to the elevation (its not so bad anymore). During my run, I say, “Buenos Dias!” to every person in our community because I learned very early on, it is disrespectful not to say Good Morning when you pass someone, even if you have to pass them 15 times in 1 morning. I come home, and go to take a shower when my host mom, Carmen, stops me to ask if I am going to take a shower again, since I just took one yesterday.

I then get ready for a day an 8 hour daily Spanish class with the 4 other PC volunteers in my village. All my language classes are right here in Pakistancia. At the milk distribution center, where else? Tuesdays and Thursdays aren’t bad because we are with our group of 32 people in our “tech” classes, meaning they teach us how to teach health, since that is the program I am in. Our tech classes are in the town next to us, called Ayora. Casey, a girl in my group from Massachusetts, lives in Ayora. Her and I have become very close, and along with Sam and Alea, have a pretty good support system.

After class on tech days, I usually hangout with the girls or Geoff (another PC friend I met) we go to Cayambe to see what unnecessary shit we can buy for cheap. I did purchase some sweet rain boots for $8. I got ripped off. They go for about $4-$6 usually. Stupid Gringa.

I have to leave Cayambe by 7pm because that is what time the last bus leaves to Pakistancia. So, I can either take that bus for $0.30 or take a taxi to Pakistancia for $6.00. In Ecuador, as you probably already know, is on the Equator, hence the name. All year, they have 12 hours of sunlight and 12 hours of darkness. Its not like NH where in the winter it gets dark at 4 and the summer, 9pm. Every single day is the same. So, by 7 the sun is setting and its dark by 730.
My host family makes me dinner which usually consists of a huge ass plate of rice. Carmen has gotten better bc I told her I don’t like shoving 3500 calories worth of rice down my throat at one sitting. Tonight’s protein was fish with the head and everything, I couldn’t understand where Carmen bought it so I gave up and ate it anyway. The reason this is important because if it is fresh water fish, it most likely came from the highlands where we live and is probably fresh. However, if it is salt water fish from the coast, I will find out when I get Montazuma’s revenge. The refrigeration practices aren’t very good. And anything coming from the coast, I have been warned, I should not eat. In Ecuador they sell the milk, not in a cold refrigerator, but in a regular aisle. Ecuadorian tell me that you don’t need to refrigerate milk if it doesn’t have preservatives in it. Yeah, I’m going to go ahead and believe that but still feel like no leche for me.

My host family is really cool. Carmen and Miguel are the parents and they have 4 kids, Martha, Flor, Angel, and Carmenita Ruby. Ruby is 4 and is just like Abby in so many ways. So funny, mischievous, asks why why why to everything!

Anyway, things are going well. Stuck my hand in the toilet for the first time the other day bc I forgot toilet paper goes in the trash not the toilet. Duh! I am trying hard not to make that mistake again.

I will be living in Pakistancia until the last week of August when we get sworn in. The mailing address is the same for now until I get my real site I will be at for the next 2 years....

Continued Saturday afternoon... I had tutoring this morning in the town next to me. Because of the festival del sol the busses dont run. So I ran. 3 miles. and walked back uphill 3 miles. I am going to rethink tutoring or just borrow my host brothers bike next week! Anyway, I am off to Tabacundo, another small town, but much wealthier than Pakistancia, for a fiesta. Turns out I might not have to abandon everything I love.... More later. More pics coming soon when I have time to figure this blog thing out:) Abrazos y Besos (hugs and kisses) from Ecuador!

5 comments:

John said...

gpthmzHi El Laura....
We love and miss you. I am going to sell your blog into Travels with Laura, "a hilarious tour of the equator".
We are sitting on a cool Sunday AM a 9 amherst with T Tom, Mary, Abby, Betsy and Amber,
We laughed out loud at this blog.. you are soooofunny
Love

John and Miranda Vinson said...

Laura,

We got back from the hospital with Baby Ella a little while ago. We will send you pics as well as some D&D coffee. We are so proud of you. You are doing such a great job. Continue having great adventures and keep us posted. Love you

Johnny and Miranda

DebbieLD said...

I'm also LOLing at your blog, crazy girl! The editor in me is thinking of ways we can sell this story...
Please hang onto that sense of humor in addition to your excellent typing skills.
I am amazed at your strength. I have a flashback of, "Saying you're on the dance team is more fun than actually..." if ya catch my drift.

wishing you more strength! keep up the great work.
xoxoxox
Debbie

Rebecca said...

Re blogging is hard. They should give course in this stuff. I have written several times already with great prose and eloquently phased. Now I just say I love you, I'm proud of you, and I wish I knew more about this blogging stuff. I tried to show FRB how to do it and we never got it done, He really wanted to email you. Maybe he'll just send a plain ole email. Hope today went well and you are progressing toward a fabulous assignment on August 29. Love ya much. Mom

Johnny boy said...

It looks like you are doing so many things which is an awesome experience. I am having an awesome experience in my air conditioned window office too. Can't wait for you to get back and we can compare stories! Be careful of the jungle dwellers, if they give you any hassle, just drop Stephans name and everything will be good. You and I pray to God, but they pray to Stephan...you know, same thing. I hope you are doing well and I can't wait for you to come home with corn rolls in your hair. I just got them done too. Have fun, be safe. I am building my empire here for us so let's talk soon. Love ya!